AmyIncarnate

Progress: 2 %
Awoken
Serra Elinsen
Progress: 138/324 pages
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes This is probably the most poignant book I've ever read, period. I read an excerpt when I was in middle school for some lesson, and just fell in love with the story. Saw the movie the same year but the excerpt was better in my opinion. Got the book that summer and just devoured it. The character of Charlie is so fascinating and wonderful. I love his journey from simple minded yet good hearted man to a vastly intelligent yet extremely arrogant man and back again. But one of my favorite things about him is that when he is returned to his original state at the end, he tries to retain some of the information he learned while intelligent. It shows that his desire and passion to learn hasn't changed. In fact it's grown with the self knowledge that he will probably die soon like Algernon did. He's, in my mind at least, one of the great tragic heroes in the literary world. To watch his eventual deterioration at the end is so heartbreaking. I don't cry easily and I was bawling when this book came to a close. Another thing is his relationship with his Adult School teacher. He has a crush on her when he's simple minded, and she has a soft spot for him. When he grows in intelligence they begin to date of sorts. But his new found arrogance crushes any chance of the two having a real future. And when he returns to his simple minded self I feel like she is sad at how everything has turned out. I also like the flashes of memories back to Charlie's childhood. The flashes show Charlie's history and how his low I.Q affected his family. All in all this is one of my favorite books of all time, and I suggest you read it.