AmyIncarnate

Progress: 2 %
Awoken
Serra Elinsen
Progress: 138/324 pages
Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick - Joe Schreiber For more reviews, check out http://vivaladolcevita14.blogspot.com/

I don't really have strong feelings towards this book, to be honest. I don't dislike it too much, yet I don't overtly love it. I thought the concept was cool, and Gobi/her story were kick ass, but other than that I didn't truly enjoy ARCEC. Some of the stuff that happened just seemed soo far-fetched. It just became "let's see what we can top the previous crazy event with."

To be blunt, Perry was bland as hell. He's been described as a "Michael Cera type," but I feel like he had no personality, save for how he reacted to Gobi's antics. Which is why I could not understand for the life of me why Gobi and him had a pseudo-romance going on. I mean he was nice, and his journey was fun to read, but it was just too generic, Perry was too generic. Gobi on the other hand, was amazing. I loved her as a character, she kicked major butt, was hilarious, but also could pull on your heartstrings and make you frightened of her. I loved how complex she was, her story will break your heart, and you will totally understand why she does everything she does. She made this novel for me. The other characters really weren't focused on, being that this novel was mostly about Perry and Gobi, therefore they didn't get much development.I will say this, Perry's dad was also generic. The typical dad-who-expects-too-much-and-has-hypocritical-secrets kind of literary dad. He just angered me in his antics/genericness. Other than him, the side characters just blended together.

My issue with Mr. Schreiber is that he basically wrote a generic novel, save for Gobi and the cool concept. Nothing really stood out to me, again save for Gobi and her bad-assery. He didn't really give the story the oomph it needed, didn't really make the twists subtle, basically bland du-jour. Shame too, because this novel could have easily been amazing. Amazing.