AmyIncarnate

Progress: 2 %
Awoken
Serra Elinsen
Progress: 138/324 pages
Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel For more reviews, check out http://vivaladolcevita14.blogspot.com/

I'm not gonna lie, it weirded me out at first reading a love story with a legitimate zombie as one of the love interests. I mean, just the idea of it gave me the creeps. But as I read this book, my mind completely changed, and I was totally rooting for Bram and Nora to be together. I did find it irritating, as a few bloggers I read said, that women in New Victoria just gave up their rights that easily. It just blew my mind. Also, I didn't like the number of narrators there were. That works for some books, but it didn't seem to jibe with this one. I wanted more of the awesome love story between Bram and Nora, and more of Nora's fantastic point of view. While it was nice getting different perspectives, I hope Ms. Habel does not do this again in Dearly, Beloved. Especially since I found myself skipping some of the chapters that had other POVs in them. I loved this story, a mix of zombie fiction, a love story, family drama, steampunkness and good old fashion historical stuff (yup, that's right, stuff). The fight scenes were pure epicausity, and I lapped it up like tomato juice. And I have to say it, that ending damn near made me tear up and scream in horror/sadness.

Nora was flipping awesome. I loved her sarcasm, her loyalty and intelligence. I loved that she defied the norm, loving military history instead of following the norm. She was another character who I think would make a great best friend in real life. Her reactions were appropriate, plus she kicked some serious ass. Her journey was so cool, and I was rooting for her the whole time. Bram, damn what do I say about Bram? Is it weird that I have a literary crush on a zombie? I mean it definitely is weird, but I still think Bram is bleeping hot. He's so sweet and caring, loyal and smart, funny and kick-ass. I loved how his and Nora's relationship developed. It did take place in a short time, but there was a reason for that, and despite the time frame, their relationship developed at a nice pace. The romantic moments between them were sugary sweet, and I can't wait to get back to them in the second book. Pamela was a cool character. Her POV was alright to read, mostly because of how she dealt with everything, from her parents to the zombie outbreak, to her station in life. Chas was by far one of my favorites. She made me laugh out loud so many times, and I loved how her relationship with Nora was.

Ms. Habel is a wonderful author. She built up her world so well, and it's clear she knew what she was doing when it came to writing the Neo-Victorian parts. She wrote such great characters, story, and just drew me into this world that she created. I can't wait to see more from her.